Hyper Text Markup Language was primarily designed in the initial days as a language for sematically desribe the sientific documents.
HTML5 is the new standard for HTML and published by World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) group.
1. Has in built capability to play audio and video formats. Eg., <audio>, <video>. The usage of Flash player and other video pluggins are not required
2. Introduction of <Canvas> Element for drawing 2D diagrams
3. Introduction of new elements like <header>, <footer>, <article>, <section>, <nav>, <aside> etc
4. Introduced a new type of storage called Local Storage instead of storing data in Cookies
5. Supports Offline storage ie., ability to handle the data even when the application is not connected to Internet.
6. Support for Geo Location ie., makes the user location directly available in the Browser.
7. Enables the Web designers to use the cleaner code with HTML 5 semantics elements. The usage of <div> elements can be reduced.
8. Simple DocType implementation ie., <!DOCTYPE html>
In this tutorial, only the newly introduced HTML5 elements are discussed with examples.